Depression can often be difficult to fight as it usually drains you of your energy. And though you can’t overcome it by willpower alone, you still have some control, no matter how you feel. The suggestions and tips for coping with depression listed below can help you with this.
- Keep doing the activities you previously enjoyed (even if you don’t enjoy them as much when you’re depressed).
- Try and build some exercise into your day as it releases endorphins – the body’s “feel good” hormones.
- Know what your triggers and your risk factors are. For example, loneliness, stress, disappointment and pain are common triggers and risk factors for depression.
- Stay in touch with your friends. Often those who are depressed start to isolate themselves – but that leads to loneliness – which makes depression worse.
- Try and maintain some kind of routine, especially when it comes to getting up and going to bed. Taking naps in the daytime can cause insomnia and leave you feeling drained, so you have no energy.
- Try to get a handle on how much you tend to worry. Take note of your thought patterns; don’t dwell on negatives. Instead, challenge faulty thinking so it’s much less pessimistic … and try to be thankful … and look for positives.
- Make sure you do things that make you feel more relaxed. Often people who’re depressed feel uptight and agitated. So it’s important that you find things that help you to relax.
- Resist the temptation to self-medicate (especially through alcohol or substance abuse.) That will lead to greater problems – and make you feel much worse.
- Seek out support. Talk to a good friend, or someone that you trust. You’ll usually find there’s someone who genuinely cares.
- Talk to your doctor. It may be medication is the answer for you so don’t be afraid to try and get professional help.
Kathleen Dennehy, accredited counsellor and Heal Your Life Workshop Leader. Kathleen offers a space that is comfortable, safe and confidental, she also offers Workshops based on Louise Hay Philosophy “You Can Heal Your Life” and is also available to give talks to groups. For further information contact Kathleen on 087 9774740 or [email protected] or visit Kathleen’s website www.heallifelove.com.