- Each serving (2 capsules) contains: 500 mg sodium (22 mmol sodium, 1270 mg sodium chloride), 100 mg potassium.
- Tasteless capsules are small (size 0) and easy on the stomach.
- Non-GMO, vegan, gluten free, preservative free, allergen free, starch free.
- Ingredients: Sodium chloride, potassium citrate, vegetarian stearic acid, vegetable capsule.
- Suggested use: As a medical food, take one to two (1-2) capsules with water, three to four (3-4) times a day, for up to ten (10) capsules daily.
Vitassium® is specifically formulated to provide sodium and potassium for the clinical dietary management for patients with autonomic dysfunction including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), Cystic Fibrosis (CF), and Vasovagal Syncope, when increased plasma volume has been shown to be beneficial. Vitassium helps to maintain electrolyte levels, to support healthy blood pressure, and to reduce fatigue and dizziness due to low blood pressure.
Vitassium is intended for use under medical supervision. If you are an individual whose physician has recommended additional intake of salt (sodium), Vitassium may be helpful to increase your electrolyte intake in a simple capsule or tablet format. Vitassium also contains potassium in a 5:1 ratio that provides a balanced intake of both major blood electrolytes. Potassium citrate also acts as a buffering agent to minimize pH changes in the blood, and can help soothe the stomach.
It is often recommended to increase both fluid and salt intake in order to increase blood volume, which is typically low in POTS patients. This has been shown to be particularly helpful in patients with blood pooling, hypovolemia, or hypotension1. Except for the hyperadrenergic subtype of POTS, a fluid intake of approximately two liters and an intake of three to five grams of salt is often recommended per day.
Every individual will have a different “ideal” usage and dosage. We strongly encourage you to consult with your physician on what may work best for you.
To assist with making the association between salt intake and Vitassium intake easier, we have prepared the following table:
|NaCI (Salt mg) Equivalent||NA (Sodium mg) Equivalent||Vitassium Capsules||Vitassium FastChews|
Note: 1000mg = 1 gram
For example, if your doctor suggests taking 4g (4000mg) salt per day, that would equal 6-7 Vitassium capsules or 24-28 FastChews. To reduce the chance of stomach irritation, we suggest spreading out the dosage in 3-4 smaller doses throughout the day.
If you are using other products containing sodium, be sure to compare sodium values or sodium chloride values against each other, and remember that the two values are not equal.
Vitassium is designated as a medical food, as defined in 21 U.S.C. 360ee (b) (3) as a food which is formulated to be consumed under the supervision of a physician and which is intended for the specific dietary management of a disease or condition for which distinctive nutritional requirements, based on recognized scientific principles, are established by medical evaluation.
1) Abed, Howraa, Patrick A. Ball, and Le-Xin Wang. “Diagnosis and Management of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A Brief Review.” Journal of Geriatric Cardiology 9 (2012): 61-67.
2) Grubb, Blair P. “Postural Tachycardia Syndrome.” Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association 117 (2008): 2814-817.