CBT and Addiction Counselling
with Katie (Katarina) Madarasz
CBT Clinics in Kanturk by appointment only.
My name is Katie (Katarina) Madarasz. I practice as a Cognitive and Behavioural Therapist and Addiction Counsellor. I offer online therapy through zoom video calls but I am also available for face-to face sessions in the New Leaf Health Store in Kanturk.
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a form of psychological treatment that had been proven to be effective for a range of problems including depression, anxiety disorders, alcohol and drug use problems, eating disorders, and severe mental illnesses. CBT leads to significant improvement in functioning and quality of life. In many studies, CBT has been proved to be as effective as, or more effective than, other forms of psychological therapy or psychiatric medications. CBT is based on several core principles, such as:
- Psychological problems are based, in part, on faulty or unhelpful ways of thinking.
- Psychological problems are based, in part, on learned patterns of unhelpful behaviour.
- People suffering from psychological problems can learn better ways of coping with them, thereby relieving their symptoms and becoming more effective in their lives.
The treatment typically involves making an effort to alter thought habits through strategies such as recognizing one’s own thinking errors that are problematic and then reevaluating them in the context of reality.
- Using problem-solving techniques to deal with challenging circumstances;
- Acquiring the ability to have more self-confidence.
CBT treatment also entails attempts to alter behavioural patterns through techniques such as:
- Using role-playing to get ready for possibly troublesome social interactions.
- Facing one’s concerns rather than avoiding them.
- Acquiring the ability to relax one’s body and mind.
During the CBT sessions however I don’t just implement all these techniques. Throughout the years I learned that ‘one size does not fit all’ and even though people can present with similar issues, everyone is different and their treatment approach have to be person tailored. Therefore, with a collaborative effort, the client and I analyse the issue of concern and come up with a treatment plan.
The goal of CBT is to assist people in becoming their own therapists. Clients are assisted in developing coping skills so they can learn to alter their own thinking, problematic emotions, and behaviour.
I successfully helped people suffering from social anxiety, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), generalized anxiety, depression, self-esteem issues, panic disorders and posttraumatic stress disorder.
If you are interested, contact me on my mobile,
087 6230782 or e-mail me on