This is an absolutely delicious nut roast which would be perfect for a vegetarian or vegan Christmas dinner. It is a recipe from an old, now out of print, Sarah Brown Cookbook. Sometimes the tried and tested ones are the best!
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
4 ounces hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1 1/4 lbs courgettes, diced
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 tablespoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
3 ounces medium oatmeal ( or rolled oat flakes)
3 ounces ground almonds
2 ounces creamed coconut, grated
5 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed (optional)
1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4.
- In a large frying pan or wok gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the hazelnuts, courgettes, sesame seeds, cumin, turmeric and ginger; stir together and cook over a moderate heat for 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally until the nuts have lightly browned and the courgettes are soft.
- Remove from heat and mix in the oatmeal, almonds, coconut and tomatoes and stir together thoroughly; season with cayenne, salt and black pepper.
- Grease a 1 lb loaf tin and press the mixture in well; bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is well browned and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven when cooked and allow to rest in the tin for a few minutes before turning out and slicing; You can decorate the top with slices of fried courgette